Saturday, May 28, 2011

CHARACTERS' AGES

June Shaw

When you’re reading (or writing) a book, what age characters do you prefer?
As I’m getting older (see picture), I realize I search for more mature characters than I did when I was in my twenties. And thirties. And….

Okay, so maybe I can relate better to older characters—although I really love Janet Evanovitch’s books. Oh, but maybe that’s because of Grandma Mazur. Actually, I do adore Grandma, but the younger, sexier characters are fun, too.

I liked Murder She Wrote long before I was near the protagonist’s age. I was young and enjoyed all of the women on Golden Girls. One of my all-time favorite stage plays is Arsenic and Old Lace.

The nice thing is I don’t believe I am alone in my taste for characters. The popularity of those television programs and the play attest to that fact.
What I see as different now is that I can relate more to those characters. At present, I am reading and enjoying Susan Santangelo’s Retirement Can Be Murder. Possibly a few years ago I would not have been able to sympathize with her protagonist as well. Now I definitely understand.

Janet Evanovitch’s books made me decide to write a humorous mystery series because her books are so enjoyable. I chose to make my main character somewhat older and wiser than hers. Mine may not sell as well (whose do?), but writing them is really fun. Readers and reviewers say they love my protagonist, too.

And all of my readers and reviewers can’t possibly all be baby boomers or older—can they?

3 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...

My characters are boomners as well and it's a lot of fun writing about them, June. I also love Grandma Mazur, which is why I read Janet Evanovich's books. I love quirky charcters and write about them.

June Shaw said...

Me, too, Jean. I loved the first Janet E. book I read and knew that's the type I wanted to try to write. It's so much fun!

Jaden Terrell said...

I like characters of all ages too. I'm a big fan of Janet's books; they're fun and lively, but I sure can't write that type of book.