Wednesday, March 4, 2015

20 years, 25 mysteries

by Carola

I had been writing Regencies for 15 years when my first mystery came out, in 1994.  The 25th comes out in June.  I've been working with the same editor at St Martin's Minotaur for TWENTY years, the longest of any of his authors!

Just in time for that anniversary, the first of the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries is being reissued in trade paperback with a brand-new cover, by the artist who has been doing the art for the series since the 12th, Die Laughing.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Wentwater-Court-Dalrymple-Mysteries/dp/1250060796/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425508049&sr=1-1&keywords=death+at+wentwater+court

In comparison, here is the original hardcover, as well as the large print, audio, UK, Polish, and a couple of German translation covers:


original
large print
audio

first German edition
second German edition



UK
US paperback



Interesting to see what different artists make of the story--or at least of whatever they've been told about it! I think the new one is far and away the best, though I don't recall giving Daisy a red scarf. I've already been asked for suggestions for the reissue of the second in the series, The Winter Garden Mystery, and I can't wait to see it (not coming out till Dec. 2016 so I guess I'll have to wait!).

Death at Wentwater Court trade pb due out March 17th, available for preorder.


4 comments:

Bill Kirton said...

Congratulations, Carola. You're living proof that, even in a business that's becoming trickier all the time, talent, stamina, enthusiasm and quality will bring success.

Jean Henry Mead said...

That's quite a collection of cover art interpretations, Carola. I had no idea that you had been in the business and so successful that long.

Jackie King said...

What a wonderful achievement! May you write another 25 in the next 20 years.

Carola Dunn said...

Well, Jackie, my great-aunt wrote a book in her 90s but I'm hoping to retire some day! (Hers was memoir--requested by the city of Brighton--about growing up in the Royal Pavilion, where her father was Director.)
Remember I've also written 32 Regencies! Counting the novella collections, that's 60 books in 35 years.