Wednesday, September 21, 2011

There is a tide...

by Carola Dunn

In general, I enjoy research. It's fun, whereas writing is sometimes fun but sometimes sheer hard work. However, it's maddening when the information you need eludes you or is contradictory.

I've been trying to find out about ocean currents in this beautiful bay in North Cornwall:
 Facing west
(that's my sister striding towards the 300' vertical cliff!)

 Facing northeast

Somewhere in those cliffs is a cave, from which my victim is swept by the current into the inlet on the right of the second photo.

 The inlet, Rocky Valley

The main trend of the coast is southwest to northeast, and that's the way the main current flows between low and high tides, reversing between high and low. However, the bay and the inlet face north. Headlands, islets, and underwater rocks divert the currents in unpredictable ways. Maybe there's a lobster fisherman somewhere who knows the details...

On the other hand, what's the likelihood of him reading my book and telling me I got it wrong? Since I don't know the answer, I can make the currents in the bay swirl exactly as I want them.

As a writer of fiction, I have goddess-like powers in my fictional world.



6 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

What a great place to be doing research!

Marilyn

Carola Dunn said...

And what a glorious day it was--not to be counted on in Cornwall.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Absolutely, gorgeous place for research!

Bill Kirton said...

I hesitate to leave a comment on such a topic, Carola, because I'm a Plymothian and, even though Plymouth is just a few hundred yards from Cornwall, I'm still an emmet. (Note for those unfamiliar with the term 'emmet' - it's a dialect word for foreigners. There used to be a sign on the Tamar Bridge, which links Devon with Cornwall, 'Emmets go home'.)

Carola Dunn said...

Not a Ply-Mouthy-an, Bill? I was amazed when I was in Cornwall in the spring at how many signs are now in Cornish as well as English.

Jaden Terrell said...

Carola, what a beautiful place. Did you ever find your lobster fisherman?