Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Libraries for everyone

by Carola Dunn

The county I live in doesn't have a county-wide library system. I pay $120 a year for a city library card, because I live outside the city boundaries. But we do have a small volunteer library. I'm proud to say I suggested that they apply for a Sisters in Crime grant, and they won it!

Last year, the local Barnes & Noble put on a fundraiser in aid of our little library. I was asked to sign my books there, and Barnes and Noble donated a percentage of all sales. It was an exciting event...


Yes, Darth Vader and friends showed up (I tried to look scared but it didn't work). Their masks all worked--they breathed heavily and their speech was really hard to understand! Princess Leia was there, too, but she had to leave to pick up her son after a soccer game. Who knew Princess Leia's son played soccer?

Apparently this is a nationwide group of volunteers. They pay for their own costumes and turn up at charity events to draw a crowd. I think more people came to be photographed with them than came to buy my books but it was fun anyway.

Only I've just been invited to the second annual library fundraiser at B&N (Glad it wasn't Borders!), and I can't help wondering who's going to turn up this time...

Harry Potter?



2 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...

Great photo, Carola. It must have been a lot of fun.

Jaden Terrell said...

Sounds like a wonderful event. The Star Wars characters are a fun touch.