Friday, June 21, 2013

Much To Do About About Spammers

by Jean Henry Mead

I've been fortunate over the years when it comes to spammers--a few now and then, but they were easy to delete and I never had to moderate comments. However, a month ago the attack of a UK spammer began with as many as 21 comments a day on my Mysterious Writers blog.

 Most spammers leave commercial messages but this one leaves strange comments, such as the following:

Not necessarily snicker out loud hilarity kind of fun, but at the very least interesting. The device starts with that this content of Loopy Clown Posse's beats.
 
He has also left a variety of commercial references that don't make much sense:
 
A recent national poll reveals that many adults o'er age 65 are misinformed or and work your way around the build, being indisputable your screws are centered in the dining table.4. salford car hire Sue B. The Sting IS worse Than the Buzz Dec 14, 2010, 10:38pm London has been excelling at is its car hire companies. Stop by my homepage; cheap car rental uk

and

Users around you have become more fashionable that has time, and conform to fashion trends. Steve Morley is in control of the traditional Amer-Italian menu. Suggested the new "It" model, Andrej Pejic...the "It" Male model, rather. Yet, there seems in order to really be some defensiveness about the plan. 
 
I've accessed his homepage but he doesn't allow messages. I wonder why. I also wonder how many other blog sites he pesters with his nonsense.
 
Then there are those comments written in Japanese. How do you cope with them? 

4 comments:

Carola Dunn said...

That's really weird, Jean. I had a spate a while ago of meaningless "comments" from people signing themselves Nike Shoes and Coach Handbags (or something similar). I just deleted them and they stopped coming. None quite so strange as yours, though.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Thankfully, Carola, the spammer has stopped bombarding me with spam. It's now down to a trickle. I hate to monitor my blog comments but I think he finally got the message.

Patricia Gligor's Writers Forum said...

Jean,
When this subject came up on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, my comment was "Hang them from the public square!" That pretty much expresses my feelings on the subject.
I changed the settings on my blog. I no longer allow "anonymous" comments. What a shame that "we" have to make changes that we don't necessarily want to make all because there are some idiots out there who, apparently, have nothing better to do with their lives.

Jean Henry Mead said...

I agree, Pat. They're obviously unhappy people who feel empowered by tearing down others.