Monday, June 24, 2013

Geezer Jokes and Care Homes Are Murder

This had been a busy year for me. My paranormal mystery, The V V Agency, came out in April and the fifth book in my Paul Jacobson Geezer-lit Mystery Series, Care Homes Are Murder, was released on June 19.

I had fun with one aspect of this book. My protagonist, Paul Jacobson, and his twelve-year-old granddaughter, Jennifer, tell each other non-politically correct geezer jokes. Jennifer’s mom, Paul’s daughter-in-law, objects to this, causing Paul to label himself as “the bad grandpa.” Nevertheless, he continues to “corrupt” his granddaughter as they sneak away to share geezer jokes.

This is a touchy subject in some areas. A number of celebrities have gotten in trouble for inappropriate comments recently. Jokes can be demeaning or they can allow us laugh at ourselves and the human predicament. This is the way Paul Jacobson takes geezer jokes. He gets a kick out of humor about old farts like himself.

I like collecting jokes about aging. As a member of the older population, I find humor in the aging process. There are serious issues we face, but also an opportunity to chuckle along the way.

What’s your own take on jokes about aging?





Mike Befeler

3 comments:

Bill Kirton said...

As a paid-up member of that particular demographic, Mike, and (luckily) one who has a great (and rewarding) relationship with my 8 grandchildren, I'm with you. Laughter is the best bonding method I know. And laughing at oneself is liberating and (without wishing to overdo it) life-enhancing. But I'm still trying to work out how to keep one promise I've made. One of my grandsons ordered me not to die and I promised I'd try.

Jean Henry Mead said...

I love your books, Mike, and agree with both you and Bill that laughing with your grandchildren is a great way to bond with them. I also write about senior sleuths and enjoy oldster humor. I've even made jokes about menopause.

Mike Befeler, author of geezer-lit and paranormal mysteries said...

Thanks for the notes, Bill and Jean. Let's keep sharing the humor.