Sunday, February 6, 2011

What Makes You Laugh?

Greetings from sunny Cape Cod. I felt I needed to start this post with the weather report, especially because the sun is such a rare sight in the Northeast this winter. Maybe a short walk on the beach today? Hmm. Gotta think about that one.

Several other blogs have posted this week about writing humor in mysteries. It piqued my curiosity, since we MMers are such an eclectic bunch. So, what makes you laugh? Are you a fan of slapstick (Three Stooges, I Love Lucy), biting sarcasm/comments on life (Archie Bunker -- All In The Family), "senior humor" (Golden Girls)? Do you find humor in everyday situations? I've read that laughter is good for the body as well as the soul, and can actually have a positive effect on blood pressure and the heart. Hey, Valentine's Day is right around the corner. Spreading laughter is a heck of a lot cheaper than a dozen roses, and non-fattening, too.

In my Baby Boomer mysteries, I try to sprinkle some humor into my characters' everyday situations. I make myself laugh. I hope I make readers laugh too.

So..what makes you laugh?

3 comments:

LPray said...

When one of my animals does something silly to get my attention!

Jaden Terrell said...

That's a great question, Susan--and a hard one to answer. I find David Sedaris very funny. I tend not to like slapstick humor, but I like humor that has a warmth to it. GALAXY QUEST was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It was a kind-hearted spoof of Star Trek that blended roll-in-the-aisles funny stuff with touching moments that brought tears to my eyes.

Susan Santangelo said...

It's Monday morning. Let's all find something to laugh at today!