Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Dilemma: Which Corpse Comes Next?

by Jackie King

THE CORPSE WHO WALKED IN THE DOOR, my 2nd Grace Cassidy mystery, is with my publisher. Now my time needs to be split between promoting this book, promised to be ready for sale (at least in e-book form) by the end of this month. So far, no art work. So most of that is on hold. (Could this be payback for missing my deadline by a country mile? The publishers have long memories.)


The First Grace Cassidy Mystery

My current work-in-progress, a novella, has the working title DANGER VISITS THE GOLDEN DRILLER. It's set in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where I live. I’m writing this story for Smart Women Writers, an ultra-cool group of first rate writers. I‘m editing the draft now.
The Golden Driller--Tulsa Oklahoma
The tough decision facing me: which mystery should I write next? Characters from two different plots are vying for my attention. One is Grace Cassidy, my evolving character from her own series. My family brainstormed with me on Thanksgiving day with this plot idea, and the working title is THE DISAPPERING CORPSE. The story will be set in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I’m very excited about the plot twists. (Did I ever mention that both of my granddaughters are writers? Isn’t that cool? The oldest is enrolled in the University of Texas film school. The youngest (almost 16) has published online.
Lauren Keithley
Lauren Keithley, Writer

Morgan Sohl, Writer
(Enough from a bragging grandma and back to talking of writing.)

The competing protagonist hasn’t told me her name yet. She’s pitching her story idea, and it’s a good one. Needless to say, she’s fast becoming my Best Pretend Friend. (I fear that Grace is getting a little tired of me. Perhaps we’ve been spending too much time together and we both need a break.) Of course, I could introduce this new person in THE DISAPPEARING CORPSE and let her spin off into her own series, sans Grace.

The third possibility is working on both of these novels at the same time. I’ve never done this, and would love to hear from other writers who have. Give me the pluses and the pitfalls.

All suggestions and comments will be appreciated and seriously considered.

Cheers,


Jackie

No comments: