Saturday, September 22, 2012

WRITING IN VARIOUS GENRES

WRITING IN VARIOUS GENRES By June Shaw Do you like for an author to stick to the same genre? Do you want that person’s books to all sound similar? Would you want that person’s voice to be unique? What about if you’re an author? Do you always stick to the same genres: mystery, romance, romantic suspense, historical romance, thriller—and maybe a children’s book thrown in for good measure? If you do change genres in which you write, how has that worked for you? I’d like to be an author who writes in the same genre and keeps a series going for many years like so many mystery authors do. But that’s not what’s happening. I’ve sold three books in a series of humorous mysteries and might like to pen others in that series, but have ideas for another cozy series and began writing for that one. And my mom died, and everyone insisted I tell her inspirational story, so I did. It’s called NORA 102 ½: A Lesson on Aging Well. Before I finished that one, my youngest granddaughter said she wanted to write a book with me, so together we created HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR PET GHOST. Her adolescent sisters who’re avid readers, saw their little sister’s checks rolling in for her ipad; they asked to write a book with me, too. They really enjoyed HUNGER GAMES; so did I. We’re creating a story in that genre. Okay, so even if I say I want to write in only one area, I may be wrong. I’m enjoying every genre I enter. Creating a story and individuals who live through it appeals to me, it seems, no matter the genre. How about you?

3 comments:

Mike Befeler, author of geezer-lit and paranormal mysteries said...

June.
You're right about the fun of writing in different genres. In addition to my geezer-lit mysteries, I've written manuscripts for paranormal, young adult, middle grade, historical and mainstream. It's fun to experiments.
Mike Befeler

June Shaw said...

Mike, I had no idea you wrote in all those areas. Yes, it is fun to do something different.

Jaden Terrell said...

I write a little fantasy, but I haven't pursued it professionally, since it makes more sense for me to focus my limited time in one area. I hope to get back to it one day, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying mysteries. I do plan to branch out a bit in the crime fiction arena, though.