Thursday, September 13, 2012

Where Do Writers Get Their Ideas?

By Jackie King

The most common question asked by readers is, “Where do you get your ideas?”

There are as many answers to this question as there are writers. One of the most honest answers was given by T.D. Hart on her blog T.D.Hart Mysteries and Thrillers tdhart.blogspot.com/: “I don’t know.”
 

T.D. Hart is a soon-to-be published writer of mystery and thrillers, and her enthusiasm and honesty charms this sometimes jaded writer. I highly recommend a trip to her blogsite. Her real name is Jennifer Adolph, but she uses a pseudonym for fear readers might be turned off by the name she married into. "Most people misspell our name by using an ‘f’ as the ending letter," she said .

[It’s a very good that this charming man’s last name didn’t put Jennifer off dating him, falling in love with him, or marrying him. Both are veterinarians and as a married couple have produced three of the most delightful children I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet.]

But back to my question “Where do you get…”

The truth, in my opinion, is that everyone has a bottomless pit of such ideas. Most people who aren’t writers don’t understand what to do with these passing thoughts. I came to that conclusion when I heard the famous author Jodi Thomas, speak at a writer’s conference. When discussing this reader-question, she confided to the group, “I always want to ask these folks, ‘Where did your ideas go’?” But being very polite, she didn’t, of course.

The truth is that only writers need such ideas.

My ideas for the three historical mystery novellas I wrote for the “Foxy Hens” series,” came from memories of my grandparents, who as very young pioneers, homesteaded in the Oklahoma Panhandle.
 
Two Foxy Hens and One Big Rooster

 
Foxy Statehood Hens and Murder Most Fowl
http://tinyurl.com/9r6poak
 

 
The Foxy Hens Go Bump in the Night
 
Grandma Hodges, whose given name was Lillie Bell, told me stories of how she and Grandpa lived in a dugout and gathered cow-chips for fuel. (Cow-chips are dried cow dung.) And no, they didn’t smell bad when burned. Perhaps the reason for no bad smell is that cows eat grass. And I know the information is true because Grandma said so.

To the writers who might be reading this post, my advice is to pay attention to whatever is going on around you. Listen to what folks have to say, especially those raised in a different generation. Oh! How I wish I’d paid more attention and asked more questions when I could. I think of so many now, when it’s too late.

Everything that happens to a person becomes grist for her or his writing mill.
 
Cheers,
 
Jackie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of Jackie King's writing is great. I especially like "The Inconvenient Corpse." Great post!

Unknown said...

Dearest, Lovely Jackie! What a wonderful mentor and friend you've been.

And I'm so happy to learn cow chips don't release an offensive odor when they're dried and burned. Most of my experience with cow patties involved scraping them off my boots!

-T

Jean Henry Mead said...

Enjoyed the article, Jackie. Thanks for introducing Jennifer (T.D. Hart). I look forward to reading her work. And I agree that The Inconvenient Corpse is a great read!