Sunday, February 19, 2012

Book Signings in Unusual Places

by Susan Santangelo Greetings from chilly (though sunny) Cape Cod. Just back from a weekend of book sales/ signings in non-traditional settings. There are two dogs -- English cocker spaniels, to be exact -- in my Baby Boomer mysteries. The breeder of our dogs -- big surprise, they're English cockers -- is great at getting me booked to do signings at dog shows. No, I didn't get to Westminster this year, though she did with one of her dogs. But I spent Saturday in the XL Center in downtown Hartford CT (which happens to be the city where I was born) signing and selling books at the Elm City Kennel Club Dog Show. What could be better than spending the day hanging out with lots of nice folks who love dogs? And I sold lots of books. Plus, I met a prison guard (yes, you read that right) who is also a dog breeder, and he's now become a resource for writing my books. I don't know if I'll ever need him, but it's nice to know he'll answer any stupid questions I may have. Today, back on Cape Cod, I spent the afternoon at a lovely local inn which was the site for a wedding show. Yes, signing and selling books. The title of Book 3 in my series is Marriage Can Be Murder, and I met some very nice brides and grooms-to-be, plus their parents. And I got to ask very nosy questions of some of the other vendors, including one minister who shared a story with me about a wedding she'd performed when the bride's face was covered in red blotches. She attributed it stress/nerves,but as it turned out the bride in fact had the chicken pox! Wow. What a way to begin married life. I don't know how I can work that into my plot, but we'll see. I'm wondering if anybody else on this blog does signings at unusual (that is, not book stores or libraries) venues, and if so, where??

7 comments:

Jackie King said...

The most unusual place I have signed books is at a nursing home. You wouldn't think this would be a good spot, but in this lovely little N.E. Oklahoma town, everyone turned out for the signing, including their State Representative.

The activities director had decorated the table with fresh flowers, made delicious punch and cookies. Sold a lot of books.

Susan Santangelo said...

That is so cool, Jackie. I bet all the residents of the nursing home were thrilled to have you there. Good going!

Chester Campbell said...

Beth (oops, Jaden) Terrell and I have been doing several outdoor events the past couple of years, one with a quite interesting name: the RC Cola - Moon Pie Festival. It takes place in the quaint little town of Bell Buckle, TN and attracts thousands of visitors. One event is the Moon Pie Toss, where they see who can sail one the farthest like a Frisbee.

Jackie King said...

Chester's comment about "Moon Pie Festival," reminded me that I once signed books at the Beaver, OK "Cow Chip Festival," in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Personally, I would rather have tossed Moonpies. But will sign and sell books anywere.

Mark W. Danielson said...

I've done a couple in libraries, but honestly, people who visit libraries check out books, not buy them. Considering the success Girl Scouts have selling cookies, I'm wondering if I should try setting a table up in front of a supermarket:)

Jackie King said...

Mark, That's no joke! I have a friend who sells her cozy mysteries in front of grocery stores and she does really well. Sometimes she sells inside, too. Depends on what the owner/manager will agree to.

I also have a friend who sold a large number of books at a hardware/feed store in a small town here in Oklahoma. He said farmers would come in and say, 'I need 100 pounds of feed. Oh, and give me one of those books, too.'

Jaden Terrell said...

I was going to say I hadn't signed in any unusual places until Chester reminded me of the RC and Moon Pie Festival.

Since my detective has horses, I've been thinking of doing some signinga at horse shows and feed stores, but I haven't gotten up the courage to set any up.