Sunday, March 20, 2011

Does Life Motivate Writing, Or Is It The Other Way Around?

Good morning from Cape Cod MA. Beautiful day here, blue skies, but cold. First day of spring, though, so I'm trying to remain positive that warm weather will arrive eventually.

I'm trying to remain positive...period. Which brings me to an issue that's been niggling away at me for weeks. I write cozy mysteries. Some kindly folks (even reviewers) have said I write funny cozy mysteries. At the moment, though, I'm not feeling the least bit funny. Two family/close friend deaths in the past 4 weeks, plus the news that my canine co-conspirator in the Baby Boomer mysteries, Lucy, has an incurable kidney problem and all we can do is keep her comfortable for the time she has left, have me down in the dumps. Or, as we say here on Cape Cod, down in the transfer station.

I'm sure I'm not the only writer who's had to deal with this. But it's hard to find the humor/writing muse these days.

Anyone have any thoughts to share?

8 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

So sorry, you are having to go through so many sad situations. My dog is having problems too. I must admit at times like this I don't feel much like writing, but it's good to get thoughts down that you can perhaps use at a later date.
Ann

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I'm sorry you're going through all of this.
Take the time for grief and sadness. But seek out that which makes you at least smile. Some phrase or action will crack you up (warning: it may not be funny to anyone else) signaling your return.

Take care.

Jaden Terrell said...

I'm so sorry, Susan. I wish I could tell you how to find your funnybone at a time like this, but I don't have that problem. I write kinda dark PI novels with a fair amount of angst. If I'm going through a rough time, I can channel that into the book and make it work.

But if I'm working on a softer scene or story, getting out my guitar and writing and singing sad or angry songs gives me another outlet for those feelings.

Maybe writing something unfunny (like some poetry or short stories) for catharsis could lift your mood enough so you can find the tone of your humorous novels.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Susan, I can cetainly sympathize. In the past few years I've lost a daughter and two grandsons. The only way I could work through the grief was to immerse myself in my writing.

Mark W. Danielson said...

Susan, we can all empathize with your situation. I lost my dog Lucy three years ago and I still miss her. It's no easier losing friends and relatives. Like Jean, I find escape in writing, which is what readers do in reading our stories. Writing doesn't erase our loss, but it does distract us from the pain. Best, Mark

Susan Santangelo said...

Thank you for all the kind words of support. Guess I'll just hitch up my britches and get on with getting on.

Right now Miss Lucy is out in the yard doing what she loves to do -- sniffing every bush and blade of grass. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Jaden Terrell said...

Our eight-year-old Tibetan Spaniel, Trixie, was recently diagnosed with a liver shunt--something it was once believed only puppies had never lived long with. Now they're finding it in some older dogs who apparently have the ability to overcome the shunt, at least to some extent. Now she's on a special diet, and we're hoping for the best. Just treasuring every day with her, as I know you are with Miss Lucy.

My thoughts are with you.

Shane Cashion said...

Hate hearing that on all fronts, Susan. It's certainly not easy. All you can do is plug away and know that with the benefit of time passing you'll find your humor.