Thursday, August 26, 2010

On Ice

By Beth Terrell

Some things are easy to take for granted. Until recently, the disks in my lower back were among those things I took for granted, but for the last few weeks, I've spent a hefty percentage of my days lying on an ice pack, gently walking, and trying not to lift anything. Also, "Stay off the computer," my chiropractor said. For someone who's on the computer approximately twelve hours a day, that seemed impossible--especially with Killer Nashville (the conference I help organize) imminent. After I'd argued, wheedled, and whined for awhile, he agreed that I could type in brief spurts, which is what I'm doing now.

I guess it's a hazard of the trade, but my habit of writing while sitting on the couch with my laptop on my lap so the dogs can sit beside me probably doesn't help. It looks like I'll have to find another way to get my day job, conference tasks, book promotion, and writing done without crippling myself or losing "puppy time." Anybody else struggling with bad backs and rationed computer time? Any advice you'd care to share?

I hope to share some new-found advice next week, but in the meantime, I've used up my allotted typing time. Time to go back on ice.

3 comments:

Mark W. Danielson said...

You're doing the right thing, Beth. Ice and rest is the only cure. My lower back is always sore, but having the right office chair helps. Hope you're back on your feet soon.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Sorry about your back, Beth. I was hit by a car when I was seventeen and have chronic back pain. I use large mentholatum patches (with adhesive), which work wonders.

Chester Campbell said...

You did remarkably well at Killer Nashville, Beth. I do a lot of writing while sitting in my recliner with my laptop on my lap. I usually cross my legs to prop up the computer. So far (knocking on head) I haven't had any back problems.