Saturday, October 12, 2013

When You're in Pain

By June Shaw
I had planned to write a nice long blog today about writing. Because I wound up in major pain, I won’t write much. The creative well has dried.

I sat at my desk two days ago and reached over on the floor for a piece of paper holding into I wanted to use. That’s when it happened. The pull. The ache starting from my back and running down through my thigh and shin to my foot. Sciatica.

I’d pulled my sciatic nerve once when I was pregnant, and the doctor told me to lie on my opposite side for half an hour to get the baby’s weight off the nerve. That worked well.

No, though, I have no baby to shift away and need to improve a bulging disk. It hurts. All the way down my leg. The doctor told me not to sit anymore while it gets better. Right.

So I’m sitting in front of my computer (gave my laptop away years ago—didn’t like it) to write something here, and my leg has started to ache again. I need to lie down with a heating pad.

I’ll catch you later with lots of brilliant words : )

5 comments:

Bill Kirton said...

Commiserations, June. I remember my own encounter with sciatica and it's relentless, isn't it? I hope it eases soon and you can get back to doing cartwheels.

Mark W. Danielson said...

June, I think all of us "at a certain age" can relate. I go in next week for back injections so I literally feel your pain. Hope it eases up soon.

Carola Dunn said...

Sciatica is murder. Main thing is to take enough pain meds soon enough. I didn't and all my muscles clenched up--I couldn't lie or stand straight for about 6 weeks. Sitting was the only position possible and my desk chair was the most comfortable! Heal quickly.

Jackie King said...

I'm so sorry! Hope you're better soon...it's really hard to write standing up.

Jean Henry Mead said...

I hope the pain is much better by now, June. I can certainly relate to your injury.