Thursday, June 7, 2012

Who Still Listens to Books?

by June Shaw How many people still listen to books? When my mom lived with me during her last few years, she listened to books on tape for the blind because macular degeneration had snatched most of her vision. Of course that was the reason she eventually, at the age of 98, agreed to leave her home and stay with me. I had lots of room. She had little vision--her only problem (which led me to write a book about her--at the prompting of many others. It was great of the company to send her a recorder and any cassettes she wanted me to order for her. The only problem was she couldn't see any part of the machine enough to know how to start or stop it. Or if she fell asleep while it played--what in the world was going on with that novel? She had no idea of what was taking place, so she lost interest. Of course she was happy that the company had provided it. Audio books for everyone else--who listens to them? I've seen them in Cracker Barrel stores and have been tempted to buy or rent them. But I'm not in my car enough to listen to taped books in it, and I surely wouldn't keep still enough to listen to one at my home. Who does, I wondered, until the youngest of my two daughters told me her eyes gave her trouble when reading, so she couldn't do it for long. She preferred books on tape. Ah, and today I received a contract for just that--Books in Motion wants to put the second book of my humorous mystery series on tape. Right when it seems most people are debating paper or e-books, I receive this reminder--many people still enjoy listening to books. RELATIVE DANGER, the first book in my humorous mystery series, has three very different covers created for each venue in which it is released. Here you'll find the covers for the hardcover version from Five Star, the paperback cover put out by Harlequin when they bought reprint rights, and the cover created by Books in Motion for the audio edition. http://www.juneshaw.com. You can also find there the cover for the hardcover edition. I wonder what the Books in Motion cover will look like. Have you ever had different covers for your books--or do you like to see them for the books others write?

7 comments:

Jaden Terrell said...

June, congratulations on your new audio books. I love books on tape when I travel, and I've decided to start listening when I exercise as well. A good cliffhanger at the end of each chapter might keep me going!

Laughlincat2 said...

Have always found recorded books a necessary add on to busy days. Blind co-worker has large library. Thanks for an interesting take on subject.

June Shaw said...

Thanks, Jaden! Sure hope it sounds good on tape.

June Shaw said...

I'm so glad you commented, laughlincat2. Appreciate your take on the subject.

Carola Dunn said...

The very first Daisy book has 7 different covers to date. I have to say that the Audiobook is the most peculiar--she looks as if she's wearing a Roman helmet without the crest.

The first three of the series plus the one that was current at the time came out in audio. I'm still getting royalties, years later, but they are apparently not interested in doing any more :-( Strange indeed are the ways of publishers.

Most of the audio listeners I hear from (begging for more, of course!) are commuters. I think they're all available in editions for the blind, but I may be wrong. They used to have to ask your permission to do that, but not for years.

Carola Dunn said...

I just checked the library for the blind--they have 31 of my books listed (not all mysteries).

Jaden Terrell said...

I love books on tape for long trips. Less so for driving around town, because I never want to put them away. recently, I've been thinking of downloading some for the mp3 player so I can listen while I walk on the treadmill or the greenway. It seems like a great way to make exercise a little more painless.

My first book, RACING THE DEVIL, is available in English, German, and audio. The covers are different for each one, and I've been lucky in that I love them all. I haven't gotten the German or audio covers for the second book, but I'll be interested to see what they look like.